Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: common time-management mistake: rack & stack
From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 08:35:54 -0500

On Feb 17, 2012, at 3:17 AM, Brandon Butterworth wrote:

I have noticed that a lot of very well-paid, sometimes
well-qualified, networking folks spend some of their time on "rack &
stack" tasks, which I feel is a very unwise use of time and talent.

It's not a waste, it's therapeutic, breaks the monotony of a desk
job, you get a bit of exercise. Doing something mindless can help
clear your thoughts, engineering yoga.

        +1 I find this myself, it's useful to do this, as it is to sit in with the operations team and other groups
(even finance) to understand what other groups need/require.  I've often found that someone is working around a problem
they didn't know you could solve (easily), or is doing a large amount of manual labor when there is an API, etc.

        Perspective is good.  I also do other work that certainly isn't a complete use of my talents that benefits
others (e.g.: chaperone a field-trip at school).  These are not without merits, but I do know I have my faults in
perhaps reading (and responding) to NANOG too much when I should be engaged in more worthwhile tasks.

Imagine if the CFO of a bank spent a big chunk of his time filling up ATMs.

That'd be a good idea, it's too easy to become remote from reality.
obviously you need the right balance - s/big//

        - Jared

  By Date           By Thread