Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine
From: Leigh Porter <leigh.porter () ukbroadband com>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 09:35:49 +0000

On 18 Feb 2012, at 01:46, "Owen DeLong" <owen () delong com> wrote:

I have, on occasion been away from my laptop and gotten the call to go to the colo and deal with XYZ hardware problem
and the colo was either: A in the opposite or orthogonal direction from  my house and significantly closer or B the
colo was between my present location.

In such cases, I will occasionally stop by the colo without going home to retrieve the laptop. 90% of the time it
works out OK. 10% of the time I end up leaving the colo, going home, retrieving the laptop and returning to the colo.
Obviously, if there was a loaner laptop available for a $15 rental in the colo as described, it would probably be
worth $15 to me and/or my organization to avoid the delay and bother of the round-trip between colo and home.

Owen

Yeah done that a few times.. Now all our colo sites have a kit with laptop (that boots win 7,  XP and Linux) serial USB
things, USB ethernet things and that has a DVD/cd burner and a stock of blanks and a 3G dongle thing.

I.e. everything I have ever had to go home/office/nearest-shop for..

So now when our guys to go colo, they can usually take anything and have most  things they need there already.

Now we need to nail them down so people DON'T BRING THEM BACK TO THE OFFICE.

--
Leigh