Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine
From: Joel jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 10:22:02 -0800

On 2/20/12 09:55 , Leo Bicknell wrote:
In a message written on Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 09:51:59AM -0800, Joel jaeggli wrote:
Things with legacy ports on them are on the way out. given an ipmi
manager that doesn't suck there should be no reason to connect to the
machine at all, to console in. the rats nest is a lot more tractable
when there is ethernet and power and nothing else.

This reminded me of another gizmo I'd like to have...

How about a Bluetooth to Serial adapter?  Routers don't (yet) have
iLO, but I have this fantasy about being able to walk into a colo
with a handfull of small adapters that I simply plug on to consoles
and then sit down with my laptop and can access all the serial ports
without having to run cables.

such a thing exists, I wouldn't consider it part of permanent oob solution.

http://www.amazon.com/SIIG-ID-SB0011-S1-RS-232-Bluetooth-Converter/dp/B001AZTABE

http://www.quatech.com/catalog/bluetooth_serial.php

Talk about eliminating the rat's nest....

  By Date           By Thread