Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Speedtest Results speedtest.net vs Mikrotik bandwidth test
From: Mike <mike-nanog () tiedyenetworks com>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 01:14:09 -0700

On 04/03/2013 02:48 PM, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
On Wed, 03 Apr 2013 14:07:48 -0700, Mike said:

These speedtests are pure unscientific bs and I'd love to see them
called out on the carpet for it.

As far as I know, it's possible for the end-to-end reported values to be
lower than your immediate upstream due to issues further upstream.

But if it reports 20MBbits/sec down and 5MBits/sec up, then the link is
able to go *at least* that fast.

(If anybody's got evidence of it reporting more than the link is technically
capable of, feel free to correct me...)

Yeah, I do... I've had T1 lines reported at 4.7mbps down and 2.8mbps up.

These tests are hogwash.

Mike-

  By Date           By Thread