Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

AW: 80 km BiDi XFPs
From: Thomas Weible - FLEXOPTIX <Thomas.Weible () flexoptix net>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 10:50:58 +0000

Matt Addison [mailto:matt.addison () lists evilgeni us] wrote:

How much spare margin do you have? Could you roll your own with a pair
of mismatched (C|D)WDM XFPs and a mux on each end?
Typically you have 23dB powerbudget for the ZR (CWDM or DWDM) - maybe +2 dB through selection of TOSA. A CWDM Mux will
take 2dB and a small DWDM Mux approx. 4dB  - you need two of them. This will drag your overall link-powerbudget below
20dB.

It might work if you add a FEC (either on the linecard or the XFP itself). This will add approx. 5dB to your
powerbudget of 23dB. Take a CWDM Mux and fire x-crossed on 1550 and 1570 (maybe 1530) and you will face an attenuation
of approx. 0,2 - 0,25dB/km. This could work and you should be able to transmit 80km to 90km. It's worth a test - also
to figure out if dispersion will have an impact or not.

Thomas