Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: "It's the end of the world as we know it" -- REM
From: Chris Grundemann <cgrundemann () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 07:40:05 -0400

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 6:37 AM, Geoff Huston <gih () apnic net> wrote:

But then again APNIC and RIPE NCC both had last /8 policies in place, which has mitigated some of the impacts of
address pool exhaustion. For smaller actors there is still a source of addresses in these regions, albeit a very
limited trickle of addresses, but there is still some.  As I understand it, ARIN will continue allocating right to
the end of their IPv4 address pool and not hold back any addresses for this "last chance" trickle feed, or have I
missed something crucial in ARIN's policy handbook?

Nope, you are correct Geoff. There is a /10 reserved for transition
technologies (e.g. outside addresses on a CGN) and there is a
"critical infrastructure" reserve, but no general purpose reserve like
in RIPE and APNIC.

~Chris

Geoff

--