Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: "It's the end of the world as we know it" -- REM
From: ML <ml () kenweb org>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 14:45:04 -0400

On 4/23/2013 5:41 PM, Valdis Kletnieks wrote:
I didn't see any mention of this Tony Hain paper:

http://tndh.net/~tony/ietf/ARIN-runout-projection.pdf

tl;dr: ARIN predicted to run out of IP space to allocate in August this year.

Are you ready?

Where do the startup ISPs whom didn't qualify for PI IPv4 in the past
fit into a post-run out world where they would qualify?
I am speaking in generics but also about a real ISP that is in this
situation today.

In my example This ISP could show need for a /22 but wasn't multihoming
at the time and likely will not until after run-out.
How does such an ISP begin to address their backbone and customers
facing interfaces without tying themselves to an ISP and their PA space?

I don't imagine they will be open to paying extortion prices for IPs
that other people never bothered to use.

  By Date           By Thread