Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Caps (was Re: AT&T UVERSE Native IPv6, a HOWTO)
From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 14:03:45 -0500

On Dec 9, 2013, at 11:38 AM, Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com> wrote:

It costs you nothing to let people use capacity that would otherwise go
to waste, and it increases the perceived value of your service. Your
customers will eventually find themselves depending on that excess
capacity often enough that at least some will be willing to pay you
more to guarantee that it'll be there when they really want it.

+10

We've forgotten the Committed Information Rate already?

ATM/FRAME ftw?

I think the challenge here is that RF doesn't scale similarly to other mediums.

Cost per bit-mile on fiber is really low compared to RF.

If you assume 10G-LR optics (10km) @ $299 *2 (pair) + Cvt-5002sfp ($500*2)

is around $0.16/Mbit

RF (cheap) NB-5G25 = $95*2 (pair) is around $3.16/Mbit (assuming 60Mb/s unidirectional) or almost 20x the cost,
assuming 40Mhz channel and spectrum available.

While fiber installation can be expensive, one needs to ask the local municipalities to install extra conduit every
time the earth is broken for a local project.

- Jared

  By Date           By Thread