Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: IP4 address conservation method
From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 12:06:49 -0400

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 6:34 PM, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se> wrote:
http://www.nanog.org/sites/default/files/tues.general.Papandreou.conservation.24.pdf

So my question is basically: What am I missing?

Both the router and host have to support sending and accepting invalid
ARP requests. Since the Linux kernel already mishandles arp by
default, you're probably begging for unexpected behavior. Double down
on that if the customer controls the server image.

I don't have any experience with softlayer but I have had to abandon a
handful of VPS providers due to bizarre routing failures they couldn't
fix. I was particularly thrilled with the one where if I didn't ping
the second-hop router from each of the VPS's IPs at least once every
15 seconds it would eventually forget how to reach the address. I
could log in via one of the other addresses and confirm with tcpdump
that no arps or anything else would appear on the interface. Their
advice? Disable iptables. Thanks guys, real helpful.

-Bill

--
William D. Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004

  By Date           By Thread