Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: 7206 VXR NPE-G1 throughput
From: Nicolas Chabbey <nchabbey () n3network ch>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 17:08:42 +0100

On 02/10/2014 04:30 PM, Remco Bressers wrote:
On 02/10/2014 04:17 PM, Vlade Ristevski wrote:
We are looking to double the bandwidth on one of our circuits from 300Mbps to 600Mbps. We currently use a Cisco 7206VXR with
an NPE-G1 card. These seem like very popular routers so I'm hoping a few
people on this list have them deployed. If you or a customer have these deployed, how much bandwidth have you seen them
handle? This will be handling dorm traffic at a college so it's mostly download.
The 7206 handles our 300 Mbps circuit just fine, but we are moving it to our 600Mbps circuit. At peak we've seen the
following numbers for that circuit:

   30 second input rate 559982000 bits/sec, 55809 packets/sec
   30 second output rate 55429000 bits/sec, 32598 packets/sec
      267756984712 packets input, 333325152556755 bytes, 0 no buffer

This is the interface that connects to our provider. As you can see its almost all download traffic. Our ASR1002 handles it
without a sweat but I'm a little skeptical of whether the 7206 will hold up.

This depends on multiple variables. The 7200 is a single-CPU platform where CPU can go sky-high when using features like
ACL's, QoS, IPv6 and you name it.. Also, changing from IOS 12.4 to 15 increased
our CPU usage with another 10%+. Stick to the bare minimum of features you really need and you will be fine.

I do share the same thoughts as Remco. We've actually several NPE-G1 in production environments with full BGP feed. We saw a decrease in forwarding performance since 12.4T and up. We also recently disabled some features like netflow and ip inspection, which seemed relatively CPU intensive.

I do remember we were able to forward around ~700Mbps of 1500 bytes traffic with old IOS images and no ACLs.

  By Date           By Thread