Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Inevitable death, was Re: Verizon Public Policy on Netflix
From: George Herbert <george.herbert () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 19:20:22 -0700

On Jul 17, 2014, at 5:19 AM, Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net> wrote:

The problem is partly a technological one.  If you have a fiber span from east<-> west it doesn't make sense to OEO
when you can just plop in a bidi amplifier.

Almost certainly, most of the fiber going through the building just hits an amplifier (or nothing and isn't broken out
there).  Yes.

But they quoted a price for access, and some research turned up signs other people are doing big fiber out of that
location, so my assumption at this point is that at least one pair each direction down the fiber is terminating in some
router there.  Possibly a fiber level wave device but seems more likely a router.

Unless that assumption is not true, this comes down to "We don't want your antenna on our roof*, come in via fiber like
everyone else" and not having met the right Layer 3 reseller yet.  It's not sounding at all like "we have to break open
a fiber for you and put in a router".

(The rest of this indirectly aimed back at Brett, not Jared )

It's not 1995.  Even little ISPs need to get aware and step their game up.  Treating transit or uplink like a 1995
problem IS a short road to damnation now.

Seriously.  The net is changing. The customers are changing, the customers uses and expectations are changing.  Change
with it, or step out of the way.  You are not an exception because you're rural. You've just got a density and size
lag.  That is temporary at best.  Keep up.  This is critical national telecommunications infrastructure.  Modern teens
have mostly never used landline phones and are not OK with inadequate bandwidth at home or on the road.

Being in Laramie is not a shield against change.

* probably expands to "...you aren't big enough for me to bother working with my facility staff and filling out the
paperwork to get an exception or lease amendment or permit and let you put an antenna on our roof, sorry", but this is
an educated guess not informed.

George William Herbert
Sent from my iPhone

  By Date           By Thread