Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: How to catch a cracker in the US?
From: shawn wilson <ag4ve.us () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 00:14:00 -0400

On Mar 13, 2014 7:37 PM, "Larry Sheldon" <LarrySheldon () cox net> wrote:

On 3/13/2014 8:22 AM, Sholes, Joshua wrote:

On 3/13/14, 12:35 AM, "shawn wilson" <ag4ve.us () gmail com> wrote:

A note on terminology - whether you know what you're doing, actually
break
into a system, or obtain a thumb drive with data that you weren't
supposed
to have - it has the same end so I'd refer to it by the same term -
hacking. Trying to differentiate terms based on skill, target, or data
type is kinda dumb.

If one came up in this field with a mentor who was old school, or if one
is old school oneself, one tends use the original (as I understand it)
definitions--a "cracker" breaks security or obtains data unlawfully, a
"hacker" is someone who likes ethically playing (in the "joyful
exploration" sense) with complicated systems.

People who are culturally younger tend use "hacker", as you are doing,
for
the former and as far as I can tell no specific term for the latter.

If you ask me, this is something of a cultural loss.

Not sure I can agree with that.  I have been in this game for a very long
time, but for most of it in places where the world's population cleaved
neatly into two parts: "Authorized Users" who could be identified by the
facts that they had ID cards, Badges, and knew the door code; and
"trespassers" who were all others.

Then you new kids came along and (pointlessly, in my opinion) divided the
later group into the two described above.

Sorry for my note. Didn't mean it to sidetrack the question (I probably
should've).

/me o_O

  By Date           By Thread