Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: [dns-wg] Global Vs local node data in www.root-servers.org
From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 08:51:03 -0700

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 11:11:40AM -0400, Joe Abley wrote:

On 17 Mar 2014, at 10:27, manning bill <bmanning () isi edu> wrote:

alas, our service predates Joe’s marvelous text.

“B” provides its services locally to its upstream ISPs.
We don’t play routing tricks, impose routing policy, or attempt to
influence prefix announcement.

In the taxonomy I just shared, that makes the origin nodes of B all "global nodes".

To clarify though, I certainly wasn't trying to suggest that the things I described were new or original when I was
writing in 2003. Anycast had already been in use for quite some time by a variety of people at that time.

It's specifically the terms "local" and "global" in a DNS anycast context that I was apologising for :-)

Joe

        No apology needed.  I was clarifying why "B" is listed as a local node.
        That it doesn't fit you taxonomy is fine - but it does need an explaination.

/bill

  By Date           By Thread