Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Helping NMap Get Better OS Detection
From: "Alan S. Jones" <asj () ipa net>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 21:39:19 -0500

At 09:33 PM 4/8/2004 -0500, MadHat wrote:
On Apr 8, 2004, at 8:24 PM, Alan S. Jones wrote:
You can only report the MAC if it is on the local network.  If it has
to get past switches into another subnet, the MAC is not included.  The
only way I know around this is to use some protocols that report the
MAC, the main one being NetBIOS and the nbtstat packets on udp/137, but
without that there is little you can do to get the MAC from a distance.

This is actually what I was thinking, when available i.e. on a Local LAN
same subnet, etc NMap should report the MAC address.  If it can't figure it
out don't worry, but the default should report it if it can be obtained.

This would be helpful for local LAN diagnostics and getting all the info in
one place.

--
Alan S. Jones
asj () ipa net