Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: Some NMAP GUI ideas]]
From: Bill Petersen <bill.petersen () alcatel com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 08:34:43 -0500

Actually, yes I DO enter all IP addresses from my network into a
database  (many many ips).
And then I do want to scan all IP addresses, find which are currently in
use.
Then check and record the OS, check and record open ports and versions.
This allows me to quickly narrow down the machines to check when a major
worm or
vulnerability comes out.

Then I run Nessus against all of them to check for vulnerabilities, and
record those as well.

I also have in my database, the physical location I expect each IP
subnet to be in, and the
system admin associated with that subnet.  So when I find
vulnerabilities, I can contact them
and ask them to go patch the system.

IT IS VERY complex, but required with today's attacks and vulnerabilities.

Bill

Bill Petersen, CISSP
Senior Information Security Analyst
Alcatel North America Information Security
Bill.Petersen () alcatel com
Voice: 972-519-4249
Fax:   972-477-5300

Adam Jones wrote:

How would you want to be able to do something like this? I doubt
anyone wants to enter ip addresses for all of the systems on their
network. I mentioned ldap integration earlier, and would like to know
how useful that would be outside of windows and active directory.
Forgive my ignorance, but I simply do not know that much about other
operating systems in an enterprise environment.

Anyways, my point is that ldap could be used to generate a list of the
systems you control, then group membership can be applied to anything
in that list. What kind of group membership would be useful? I can see
where being able to assign individual systems to multiple groups might
be needed.