Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Feature request
From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 17:21:29 -0700

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 09:04:13AM +0100, Martin Mačok wrote:
On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 07:30:04AM -0000, Pritchard, Adam (IDS EUC EMEA) wrote:

Some time ago, I had an idea to sort nmap-services ports by their
occurrence and implement something like --ports-top <n>. This way, you
could easily scan for top n TCP and/or UDP ports.

That is a good idea.  There is the -F option, but it gives far too
many ports.  One problem is that we need good data (large scans of
diverse ranges, both on the Internet and behind firewalls) to
determine the most popular ports.

Anyway, the trick I'm using now is to have TOPN="1,2,3,..."
environment variables and use them with "nmap -p$TOPN"

Clever move.  I suppose Nmap really should have a --servicefile option
in addition to the more generic --datadir that it already has.  Maybe
--servicefile should imply "-F" as well.

Cheers,
-F