Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: What would we want in a new Netcat/Hping?
From: Leon <kuba () et pl>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 00:50:24 +0200

On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 14:45 -0700, Andreia Gaita wrote:
On 6/15/05, Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org> wrote:
Excellent points, though there is a possible conflict between two of
the goals.  Having a simple core with separate modules/filters is
aesthetically pleasing, but as Chuck noted there is a major practical
benefit in having nc be a single executable that you can quickly
upload to a server.  So I would suggest making features like OpenSSL
compile-time options, so that people who don't want that support can
easily make a limited version with just the core features, while
people who truly want a swiss-army knife can leave it all in.

Yep, been thinking about that too
so do I
, people don't want to carry around
I think we can cater for both types if we make the
thing so features can either be included in compile time or added
later as a plugin... either that, or we choose one of the target
audiences and stick with that model :p
I think that new netcat should be as simple as possible, so "I would
suggest making features like OpenSSL compile-time options" ;]

My ideas are also:
- some IPC handling
- privilege separated for -e and -c options

--
Jakub (L30n) Staszak.