Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

FW: MS05-019 & Win2k
From: "Feliciano, Marcial" <mfeliciano () wnfnet com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 00:32:05 -0400

FYI Re: MS05-019 and Windows Raw Sockets:

More on MS05-019

It breaks a lot more than just raw sockets on current Win32 platforms.
It wreaks havoc on pre XP systems as well in other areas.

Win2k machines are not affected by MS05-019 raw sockets issue but this
early patch release breaks so much more on Win2k that it causes its own
denial of service!

Our enterprise loaded with Win2k SP4 (fully patched) servers experienced
a multitude of issues over the last few days that almost had me pulling
my hair out until I eventually narrowed down the problem and helped
Microsoft resolve the issues leading to the release of the "updated
patch" today (4/25/05).

MS05-019 modifies the IP stack and replaces tcpip.sys with a modified
version that changes the values of the MaxICMP route and MTU settings.
It virtually crippled all of our servers on WAN sites that were going
across routers and firewalls due to packet MTU size issues and discards.

All of our WAN servers would run fine for a day after reboot and shortly
thereafter would begin to fail with AD replication, RPC communication,
Terminal services, IIS/WebDav, etc. Basically all of the upper layer
services. ICMP (ping echo-replies) would always work but all of the
upper services would not respond. We first noticed it with our heavy
Citrix/Printing as spool jobs would fail.

This primarily affects servers in routed environments or any environment
where packet size MTU and DF bit settings may be set. Small environments
where all servers are in one physical/logical site will not experience
this issue.

MS05-019 modifies:

C:\WINNT\system32\dllcache\msafd.dll
C:\WINNT\system32\dllcache\tdi.sys
C:\WINNT\system32\dllcache\wshtcpip.dll
C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys <- main replaced/affected file with
a Feb 2005 version from former June 2003 version.

Just thought I'd share as maybe this information can be useful to many
of your readers who may be suffering or will soon be suffering from
weird Windows issues.

It took me 3 days to prove it to Microsoft even after I could replicate
the issue and finally they admitted to me that their developers started
working on a fix for this issue as a post MS05-019/KB893066 update which
was released today. The MS05-019 patch was released as a "rush" patch to
address other issues that were going on in the field.

I have not tried the updated fix yet so I can not speak to the raw
sockets issue on XP machines. This would be a good test to see if it
addresses that as well.

More interesting reading info released late on Monday April 25th:

The official Microsoft Bulletin released today:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898060/

And another good related link:

http://myitforum.techtarget.com/blog/cmosby/archive/2005/04/23/5403.aspx

Marcial Feliciano