Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap causes critical error on Novell Netware 6 SP5
From: Kurt Grutzmacher <grutz () jingojango net>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 21:59:34 -0800

On Feb 5, 2006, at 8:20 AM, Matt Hargett wrote:

Mike C (check) wrote:
IMHO server s/w that falls over when it's port scanned is a bit of a
liability nowadays :-)

Anybody writing TCP/IP stacks should test there software against a
whole
bunch of intrusion tools and techniques.

And check out my presentation on testing protocol stacks from
Defcon 8.
I found so many IPsec and NAT bugs using nmap, but everyone thought I
was joking and/or stupid.

I wonder what isic would do  to Netware if nmap can crash it? ;>

To be "fair" this is most likely the version scanner causing the
NetWare problem. Still doesn't excuse them but Nmap's doing quite a
bit more than just port scanning. Reminds me when OS Detection was
first introduced and apps started puking all over themselves. Mostly
its because application authors just haven't learned that you should
always expect malformed data and treat all input accordingly. Damn
lazy developers!

I've seen a single TCP SYN packet crash a major vendor's application
before. Of course after such a thing happens risk management kicks in
and we find our hands tied because one of our tools caused an outage
so now we're renegade cowboys running amok within the network! Damn
you Nmap!

Enough with fair. Screw developers if they can't write code to
withstand garbage.