Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: RFE: make more functions and variables static
From: "Dmitry V. Levin" <ldv () altlinux org>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 03:57:56 +0300

On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 03:54:06PM -0800, Fyodor wrote:
On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 02:47:44AM +0300, Dmitry V. Levin wrote:

While updating my drop-priv patch for nmap-4.01, I noticed that nmap *.o
files define a lot of global symbols, obviously more than necessary.

I wrote a simple script (for GNU/Linux) to find potential symbols which
could be made static:

Whew, that is a lot of symbols!  But I went through them all and made
the vast majority of them static (a few I was able to remove
entirely).  The change will be in the next version of Nmap.  Thanks
for the list and script.

Attached script is enhanced for better reuse version of original one.

There are probably more potentially static symbols in nmapfe and other
subdirectories:

$ nonstatic-symbols.sh `find -type f -name \*.o |egrep -v '(libdnet-stripped|libpcap|libpcre)/'`

--
ldv