Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap -P0 reboots Windows XP
From: Kris Katterjohn <kjak () ispwest com>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 17:27:49 -0600

Bryan wrote:
If you disable auto-reboot on error, do you get a blue screen or error
message?

Regards,

Bryan

On 3/7/06, Kris Katterjohn <kjak () ispwest com> wrote:
I've been using nmap on Linux for several years, but I just tried nmap for
the
first time on Windows today. I installed WinPcap 3.1 and nmap 4.01
(self-installer).

[I typed this story about the things I tried and the options used, etc.,
but
it got way too long so I'm just giving you the short version]

After quite a bit of testing, I figured out that SOMETIMES when I hit ^C
while
using the options -sS (I don't type it but it's the default) and -P0,
Windows
will reboot. I've tried it a lot with different scan types etc., but it
hasn't
happened yet when it wasn't -sS AND -P0. Using -sS without -P0 hasn't
resulted
in a reboot, and neither has -sX, -sA, etc. with or without -P0.

It happens at different times, but most of the time it happens after the
actual SYN scan starts (judging with -d).

I'd say it reboots about 50% of the time after hitting ^C within 5 seconds
of
nmap starting with those options.

I'll answer any questions and try any suggestions you may have. It's
Windows
XP Home with Service Pack 2.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,
Kris Katterjohn

I didn't know you could do that. I googled it, turned it off and got a BSOD:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

So I googled that and saw that it sometimes comes up because of hardware
failure. I installed some more RAM in that box last week, but haven't had any
problems with it. It's a lesser used box that dual-boots Windows and Linux,
but both have been used for normal things and have worked fine.

I took the RAM out, tried nmap about 20 times and Windows didn't reboot at
all. So the RAM was apparently the root of the problem, but winpcap/nmap was
the thing that caused it.

Now I'm off to see what I can do about this.....

Thanks a lot,
Kris Katterjohn