Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

New Executable Nmap Installer for Windows
From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 22:43:14 -0800

Developers,

I think many potential Nmap users on the Windows platform are turned
off by the way Nmap is packaged as a .zip file that they must manually
install.  While installation of most Windows software is as easy as
executing Setup.exe, the Nmap Windows installation instructions span
multiple pages at
http://www.insecure.org/nmap/install/inst-windows.html and expect the
user to know their filesystem, change registry keys, install dependant
software, etc.

I would like to change this for Nmap 4.0, and accordingly have posted
an executable installer for 3.98BETA1 at:

http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-3.98BETA1-setup.exe

Most of the work to create this was done by Google SoC student Bo
Jiang.  It handles pcap installation, registry modification, etc.

Please give it a try, and let me know if you find problems or have any
suggestions.

It was created with the open source NSIS system, and you can find the
installer files in:

http://www.insecure.org/tmp/nmap-3.98BETA1-NSIS-Install-Pkg.zip

So the best suggestions will include patches to the NSI file to fix
the issue, but please report problems even if you don't know how to
fix them.  The nmap-dev list is a good place to report such things.

Cheers,
-F

PS:  I haven't heard many problems with 3.98BETA1.  Maybe that means
it is working great, or maybe few people have actually tried it.
Please give it a whirl when you get a chance and let me (or nmap-dev)
know if you encounter any issues.