Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

Maybe I should have been nicer ...
From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 17:59:17 -0800

Until recently, Microsoft maintained a page listing Nmap as one of 6
recommended security tools:

http://web.archive.org/web/20041122023429/http://www.microsoft.com/serviceproviders/security/tools.asp

But maybe I called them rat bastards one too many times, or they got
sick of me attacking them for glacial-slow security response times or
for disabling raw sockets (temporarily breaking Nmap) on XP SP2 for no
good reason.  Or it could be totally unrelated, but they have removed
Nmap from their recommended tools list, while the other five still
remain:

http://www.microsoft.com/serviceproviders/resources/securitytools.mspx

Ah well.  Some consolation is that they still recommend that ISPs
conduct daily Nmap scans here:

http://www.microsoft.com/serviceproviders/resources/techrescolumnsipsecurity.mspx

Unfortunately, I don't find the statement "Use nmap and strobe" very
flattering.  Shrug.

Cheers,
Fyodor

PS:  I'm still listening for any 3.999 bugs people can find.