Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap 4.23RC1 released
From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 03:09:42 -0800

Hi everyone!  I'm pleased to release Nmap 4.23RC1 with all of our
changes in the last 2 weeks.  You'll note that we have gone from a SOC
development version to a release candidate to emphasize how close we
are getting to the big stable release!

This version has some good stuff, but first here is an update on the
debloating front:

-rw-r--r-- 1 fyodor fyodor 7109087 Aug 17 15:59 nmap-4.22SOC4.tar.bz2
-rw-r--r-- 1 fyodor fyodor 7102810 Aug 18 15:10 nmap-4.22SOC5.tar.bz2
-rw-r--r-- 1 fyodor fyodor 4896587 Aug 29 02:13 nmap-4.22SOC6.tar.bz2
-rw-r--r-- 1 fyodor fyodor 4324612 Oct 11 02:26 nmap-4.22SOC7.tar.bz2
-rw-r--r-- 1 fyodor fyodor 3637650 Oct 28 20:18 nmap-4.22SOC8.tar.bz2
-rw-r--r-- 1 fyodor fyodor 3413565 Nov 10 02:32 nmap-4.23RC1.tar.bz2

These 220K (compressed) removed did come at a big price: we lost
NmapFE and the 1st generation OS fingerprinting system, which is a
little sad after their 8+ years in service.  But it is finally time
for Zenmap and the 2nd gen system to take over and shine!

Speaking of Zenmap, this release is the first to package Zenmap as an
rpm for easier installation.  There are numerous other Zenmap
improvements as well.

Please do test this out, as we really do want to squash as many bugs
as possible before the big release!

Here are the goods:

http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.23RC1.tar.bz2
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.23RC1-setup.exe
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.23RC1-win32.zip
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.23RC1-1.src.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.23RC1-1.i386.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.23RC1-1.x86_64.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/zenmap-4.23RC1-1.noarch.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.23RC1.tgz

And here are the changes since 4.22SOC8:

o NmapFE is now gone.  It had a good run as the default Nmap GUI
  for more than 8 years (since April 1999).  But after two years of
  development, Zenmap is ready to take its place.  Zenmap is portable
  and provides a much better interface to executing and (especially)
  viewing and analyzing Nmap results.  David did the honors of
  removing NmapFE.

o We have lost another old friend as well:  1st generation OS
  detection system.  Nmap revolutionized OS detection when this was
  released in October 1998 and it served us well for more than 9 years
  as the database grew to 1,684 fingerprints.  But the 2nd generation
  system incorporates everything we learned during all those years and
  has proven itself even more effective.  I couldn't bear to kill this
  myself, so David did the dirty work.

o There is no longer any artificial limit on the number of ports or
  protocols that can be used for host discovery. Port lists for ping
  scan now use the same syntax as the -p option except that T:, U:,
  and P: are not allowed. This means that you can do
    nmap -PS1-1000 target
    nmap -PAhttp,https target
    nmap -PU'[-]' target
  [David]

o Zenmap is now available packaged in RPM format.  Since Zenmap is
  written in Python, we no longer have to have separate x86 and x86_64
  versions like we did with NmapFE (and like we still do with
  Nmap). [David]

o Fixed a crash (assertion failure) which could occur during ARP Ping
  scan [Kris]

o Fixed Zenmap so that it can handle asterisks in the command line
  (e.g. "nmap 192.168.*.*" or "nmap -phttp* localhost") [David]

o Change the Zenmap bug report dialogue to now give instructions for
  reporting isues to nmap-dev. [David]

o Modified higwidgets/higdialogs.py for compatability with old
  versions of PyGTK. [David]

o Updated IANA assignment IP list for random IP (-iR)
  generation. [Kris]

o Fixed a number of spelling errors in the Reference Guide (man page)
  [Doug]

Enjoy,
Fyodor