Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

OS fingerprints and virtualization
From: "Thomas Buchanan" <TBuchanan () thecompassgrp net>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 09:30:40 -0600

I've been doing some testing with 4.23RC1, specifically against guest
systems inside VMWare Workstation.  I've been prompted a couple of times
about submitting OS fingerprints, but I wondered if the virtualization
could have an impact on the fingerprinting process.  Could the VMWare
network driver alter the network packets such that the OS fingerprint is
changed?  What about virtual system under qemu, connected via tun/tap
drivers?  Has anybody compared OS network signatures from virtualized
systems to bare metal installations?

Sorry about all the questions, but I'd rather not submit these
fingerprints if they don't accurately reflect the true OS network stack.

Thanks,

Thomas