Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap 4.23RC3 released
From: Alan Jones <alan () ajsquared us>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 21:47:35 -0600

Just a quick follow up.... it looks like 3.23RC3 still does not work for
me on my Windows Vista machine. Looks good on XP.

running a simple scan from command prompt make a window pop up
immediately.  The window say...
"nmap.exe Unable To Locate Component
This application has failedto start because NPPTools.dll was not found.
Re-installing the application may fix this probelm."

After you click "ok" on the window that pops up you get the following:
WARNING: Could not import all necessary WinPcap functions.  You may need
to upgr
ade to version 3.1 or higher from http://www.winpcap.org.  Resorting to
connect() mode -- Nmap may not function completely TCP/IP fingerprinting
(for OS scan) requires that WinPcap version 3.1 or higher
and iphlpapi.dll be installed. You seem to be missing one or both of
these.  Winpcap is available from http://www.winpcap.org.  iphlpapi.dll
comes with Win98 and later operating sytems and NT 4.0 with SP4 or
greater.  For previous windows versions, you may be able to take
iphlpapi.dll from another system and place it in your system32 dir (e.g.
c:\windows\system32).QUITTING!

This error refers to WinPcap 3.1 or higher well i am running 4.02.

Not sure if the root of the issue is WinPcap or Nmap.

hope this helps.

Alan