Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NSE script for OS identification / clarification using Netbios/SMB
From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 16:29:53 -0800

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 01:47:01AM +0000, Brandon Enright wrote:

Cool.  This script is a prime candidate for replacing my nbstat.nse
script.  It would be nice to get all of the NetBIOS and SMB functions all
in one place (a library?) so that scripts like this or mine are as simple
and calling functions to generate the packet, send, and parse it.

Both Nessus and Metasploit have libraries like this that make writing
arbitrary Windows scripts much easier.

Hi Brandon.  Such a library would likely be valuable.  It could be
written as a Lua module or in C.

I'm not very familiar with NetBIOS/SMB.  Do you thin we should keep
both scripts (e.g. they each provide some unique functionality) or
only have one of them (e.g. the functionality is redundant)?  And if
only one, which do you thin should be kept?

Cheers,
-F