Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

clamd versus clam in nmap-service-probes
From: Lionel Cons <lionel.cons () cern ch>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 11:01:06 +0100

The nmap-service-probes contains "service names" after each "match"
keyword. The documentation says:

 | service
 |
 |     This is simply the service name that the pattern matches. Examples
 |     would be ssh, smtp, http, or snmp.

For a given product, for instance Clam AV, what should be the service
name? clam (short) or clamd (for Clam Daemon)?

Looking at the latest nmap-service-probes from Subversion, I counted
449 different service names. Out of these, only 48 end with a "d" (see
the list at the end of this email). So it seems that we omit the final
"d for daemon" in the vast majority of the cases. Should some of these
services be renamed to remove the trailing "d"? I would personally
prefer to see "clam" instead of "clamd"

I would be in favour of a clear guideline to help choosing the service
name. Something like "always remove the trailing 'd' if it stands for
'daemon' unless it is an official service name registered by IANA".

Comments?

Cheers,

Lionel Cons

apcnisd