Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

WinPcap setup issue in Nmap Windows installer
From: <levelzero () retry org>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 07:58:25 +0100

I just tried to install Nmap 4.50 on my XP box that already has Wireshark
installed. Wireshark installed WinPcap 4.01. I decided to let Nmap upgrade
my WinPcap to 4.02. The WinPcap installer correctly detected the presence
of 4.01, started the uninstall of it, but unfortunately, it seems that the
4.02 installer continues running while the 4.01 uninstaller is also
running.

This is the error message given by the 4.02 installer while the 4.01
uninstaller was still busy:

winpcap-nmap-4.02 Setup
---------------------------
Error opening file for writing:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Packet.dll
Click Abort to stop the installation,
Retry to try again, or
Ignore to skip this file.

Similarly, the 4.01 uninstaller seems to require a reboot to be completely
finished.

After this, WinPcap 4.02 was visible in the "Add/Remove Programs" list, but
wasn't uninstallable (gave an error that it might have been uninstalled
already, could then only remove it from the list of installed programs).
Uninstalling Nmap, completing the required 4.01 uninstall reboot and then
restarting the install of Nmap 4.50 + WinPcap 4.02 works :).