Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

Unhandled NSE exceptions
From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 10:48:06 -0600

Hi list,

I ran into an NSE assertion failure again today, one that I'd seen
before. I'm posting again about it now that we have two fresh NSE
developers for the summer.

Here's the original post:
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2007/q4/0203.html

An NSE connect call fails and returns a socket descriptor of -1. THe
assertion failure happens later when the descriptor is used. The
problems goes away after I "modprobe ipv6".

The problem is not with the assertion, which is correct and should
remain. After all, it was caused by the broken IPv6 on my computer. The
problem is that an NSE script keeps running after an unhandled
exception. The connect call correctly signals an exception in the way
described at http://nmap.org/book/nse-api.html#nse-exceptions, but it is
ignored by the script, which keeps on running.

Is there a way to make NSE exceptions work more like exceptions in other
languages? That is, let you catch them if you want, otherwise quit the
script (not the whole Nmap process) safely.

David