Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Please help..
From: "Kris Katterjohn" <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 08:12:13 +0530

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 6:31 AM, jah <jah () zadkiel plus com> wrote:
Hi folks,

Until today, I hadn't had chance to build nmap with VC 2008 and have a
proper play with it.  Noting Rob's comments in [1] about the need to
build openssl with the VC 2008 SDK to avoid dependencies on both the
2005 and 2008 runtimes and also that he'd seemingly managed to use
compile openssl with the assembly language routines (which, apparently,
results in much faster code) I did the following steps from
mswin32/openssl/upgrade-guide.txt:

<snip>
I built nmap and installed vcredist_x86.exe and nmap to a fresh install
of XP and confirmed that
a) the only dependency is on the 2008 runtime and
b) Nmap works as expected with -sVC against a target running HTTPS.
It all looks great and if Rob manages some wizardry with nmap's (now
very slick :) installer and the redistributable runtime packages it will
likely be much better solution than static or side-by-side linking and a
good starting point for determining whether the rest of nmap should stay
with /MT or not.
As an aside, having done only a small amount of testing, compiling the
assembly language routines in openssl seemed to make no difference to
the speed...

Thanks Thomas and Jah for discussing this.  I have recompiled OpenSSL
with VC++2008 and updated the ugprade-guide to reflect build changes.

I meant to do this after the VC++2008 switch, but it completely slipped my mind.

I did not do this with nasm and the assembler routines because for
right now I'd like to keep it with what we know works and works fine.

Regards,

jah

Thanks,
Kris Katterjohn