Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

HTTP service submissions processed
From: doug () hcsw org
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 20:04:15 -0700

Hi nmap-dev,

I just checked in a big patch to nmap-service-probes that
integrates this quarter's http and http-proxy fingerprints.

There was a question:

question: what's the difference between 'http' and 'http-mgmt'?
is this the proper usage of http-mgmt?

Good question. I never use http-mgmt and there are very few
http-mgmt match lines:

$ cat nmap-service-probes |grep '^match http-m'|wc -l
3

My reasoning is that if you manage a device through HTTP,
the device is using the HTTP protocol, not some management
protocol. Nmap isn't trying to determine what the port is
used for, only what protocol it is speaking. So if there are
no objections, I think I will change the 3 http-mgmt match
lines to http.

Doug