Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap (win32 4.60) bug and a fix
From: "DePriest, Jason R." <jrdepriest () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 19:51:01 +0100

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 4:18 PM, Ionreflex <> wrote:
Hi all,

 I tried to reproduce the problem to no avail on an up-to-date WindeXP!
 Without any option, this is what I get :

 [snap]
 C:\Program Files\Nmap>nmap 192.168.51.255

 Starting Nmap 4.60 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2008-04-09 11:11 Est (heure
 d'ÚtÚ)

 Note: Host seems down. If it is really up, but blocking our ping probes, try
 -PN

 Nmap done: 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 0.610 seconds
 [/snap]

 Problem is the IP address - 192.168.51.255 - could be a valid unicast, it
 all depends on the subnet mask...

 Dudi, could you be more specific about the Win32 version and maybe the
 command you try to pass ? I just want to make sure the problem is specific
 to Nmap and not the host itself...

 Tankiou,

 Ion

What happens if you point it at the broadcast address for your local network?

If I point it at 192.168.51.255 I get the same thing you do because I
can't get to that address.

If I point it at my own .255 address (I am in a class C), it works
fine.  I still don't get a loop.

I've attached a -vvv -d9 output of my scanning a valid .255.

-Jason