Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [SINGLEWORD] radialnet
From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 13:45:53 -0600

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 10:30:04PM +0300, sara fink wrote:
I wanted to ask about the algorithm/how switch/router/firewall  is
detected
in zenmap topology. Is it via the OS fingerprinting that nmap does or
other
way?

Yes, it's based on the value of the "type" attribute in the XML. It
looks for "router", "switch", "wap", and "firewall" (without regard to
case).
So, in this case if OS fingerprinting finds various options, with various
percentages, I won't know exactly what's going on there.

From a quick check is appears to use the closest OS match. So yes, a
host could have multiple possible classifications. You can use the "Host
Details" tab or the topology hosts viewer to get more information.

David Fifield