Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: PNG images in zenmap
From: J Marlow <joshmarlow () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 16:30:56 -0500

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 4:25 PM, Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org> wrote:
On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 01:36:16AM -0500, J Marlow wrote:
Hi all,
I've committed a few modifications to my branch (nmap-exp/josh) of
zenmap.  It now only uses png images even on systems that support svg.
 The reason for this was, on my Linux system loading of svg's took
considerably longer than png images.  David did a similar test ad got
the same result.  Here is our data:

David's data

PNG:
icon load time: 1.68
logo load time: 3.24
total load time: 4.92

SVG:
icon load time: 0.04
logo load time: 0.08
total load time: 0.12

Thanks Josh.  I assume this is just mislabeled and SVG was actually
the one which took 4.92 seconds?

SVG is a more powerful format, but I agree that it isn't worth adding
5s to our startup time.  We'll just have to keep the SVG's around in
SVN and use them to render the icons as properly-sized PNGs when
needed.

Cheers,
-F

Yes, sorry about that mislabel.