Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Two ideas for NSE
From: Michael Pattrick <mpattrick () rhinovirus org>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 22:56:39 -0400

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 10:42 PM, Kris Katterjohn<katterjohn () gmail com> wrote:
Just to make a note of it, the above Table/XML example is done very much
dislike Nmap's current XML format (wrt attributes vs text).  But this can of
course be changed to

<data name="Port" value="80" />
<data name="Server" value="HTTP" />

or some such.

Or is there some reason it needs to be done via text?

This is a very good point; when I wrote that I had large multiline
text fields in mind, such as ssh-hostkey with verbosity on. I suppose
another way to achieve this would be to have two element types, one
for standard single line data stored in attributes and another for
large quantities of data or multiline data in the text area.

The text method could allow for future expansion into outputting
entire tree's, tables embedded within tables; although I will leave it
as an exercise for the reader to determine whether that sort of
advanced output would even be favorable, or if it would be too
convoluted beyond reproach.

-Michael Pattrick