Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Thoughts on script documentation
From: "Jan-Oliver Wagner" <Jan-Oliver.Wagner () greenbone net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 15:50:34 +0100

On Mittwoch, 8. Dezember 2010, David Fifield wrote:
On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 07:48:10AM -0600, Ron wrote:
This makes me think of another feature I've talked about before but
that nobody's taken the reins on: the ability to update scripts
without updating Nmap.

Telling people to "download the svn" to get the newest scripts isn't
always realistic, especially with Windows users, and stable builds can
be months apart. Having the ability to download the newer
nselib/script files in some way would be handy.

What if Nmap just came with a script that did the equivalent of

rsync -r rsync://nmap.org/scripts/ /usr/share/nmap/scripts/
rsync -r rsync://nmap.org/nselib/ /usr/share/nmap/nselib/

This is pretty much what openvas-nvt-sync does. It also can download a
.tar.bz2 file if rsync isn't installed.

If I remember some discussion correctly it was said it is
currently too trouble-provoking to offer a Feed service with NSEs because
the API changes too much. The only thing one can rely on
is that the NSEs delivered with a release are compatible with the nmap
of the very same release.

Or is Nmap meanwhile ready to offer a Feed service?

Best

        Jan