mailing list archives
Re: [NSE] Improved version of ms-sql-info
From: Chris Woodbury <chris3e3 () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 15:21:49 -0600
On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Patrik Karlsson <patrik () cqure net> wrote:
On 31 jan 2011, at 22.08, Chris Woodbury wrote:
On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 4:04 AM, Patrik Karlsson <patrik () cqure net> wrote:
Although I'm no Lua expert here are some quick comments on the code:
* You should probably avoid the leading underscore convention for instance variables and function names to avoid
confusion with metamethods. 
Good tip, and thanks for the reference. I've replaced the leading
double-underscores with single underscores. Do you think that's still
likely to cause problems? My background is in object-oriented
programming, so I'm wondering whether I'm trying to impose too much on
I don't think it will cause any problems but theres not much NSE code currently that uses this convention ....
On the other hand, theres no code style guide for NSE saying the opposite either.
I'm going to take the path of least effort and just leave them as-is
(single leading underscore for "private" variables and functions), and
see if anyone else feels passionately one way or the other. On the
topic of a style guide, that might not be such a bad idea. I've
noticed there are at least 3 or 4 styles in use across the NSE
codebase. It's not a big problem, but it's a bit of an annoyance, as
I'm sure others have experienced too.
On that same note, all of my ToString and your new ToBytes method could be changed to __tostring (as I've done in
my later libraries).
This would make it possible to do:
local p = PreLoginPacket:new()
socket:send( tostring(p) )
I did this and then realized that the ToString methods here return two
values (PacketType, PacketData). I didn't think it was worth it to
make all the necessary changes to make that work, so I reverted back
to the original. I'll keep that in mind for the future, though.
Ok, sorry, my bad.
No problem. I was all for it until I saw the exception and realized
what was going on. :)
I was just doing some testing so that I could commit this code but noticed something strange.
I haven't investigated it further but the new ms-sql-info script does not report the TCP ports for my instances.
This is what I'm seeing:
PORT STATE SERVICE REASON
1434/udp open ms-sql-m script-set
| Server name: EDUSRV011
| Instance name: SQLEXPRESS
| Version: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 SP2
| Product: Microsoft SQL Server 2005
| Service pack level: SP2
| Clustered: No
| Instance name: MSSQLSERVER
| Version: Microsoft SQL Server 2000
| Product: Microsoft SQL Server 2000
| Named pipe: \\EDUSRV011\pipe\sql\query
|_ Clustered: No
This is how the SSRP string looks:
Could you please look in to why this information does not make it to the output? If you need more debug info, let me
Thanks for including the SSRP string. That's a big help in debugging.
I figured out the the problem here was a mismatch in the mssql and
ms-sql-info versions (I sent my current ms-sql-info, not the one that
was current for the mssql.lua I sent the day before). It's not hard to
reconcile them, but I have some other changes in the works for
mssql.lua and the ms-sql scripts, and I think it would be more
worthwhile at this point to get those ready and just do it all at
once. So, ignore what I sent before, and I should have something to
look at in the next few days.
Sent through the nmap-dev mailing list
Archived at http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/
Re: [NSE] Improved version of ms-sql-info Chris Woodbury (Jan 28)
Re: [NSE] Improved version of ms-sql-info Chris Woodbury (Feb 06)