Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

mtr in nping?
From: Toni Ruottu <toni.ruottu () iki fi>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 16:52:39 +0300

Does nping have an mtr mode? Would it benefit from one? I use mtr very
often, and I wonder if there is some additional value that nping could
bring to such tool. Mtr pings all routers on a path repeatedly to give
you a live picture of the network situation. See the screen shot at
http://thepracticeofcode.com/post/457590665/compiling-mtr-for-mac-os-x-snow-leopard

"mtr 8.8.8.8" is the first thing I do when I find out that something
is failing. 8.8.8.8 is Google's DNS server so it is likely to be up.
Here is another thing to think about. If nping had a default view,
what would that be. I think it would be useful for non-professional
network users, if they could just command nping, and we would provide
them with some useful information of their network status.

  --Toni