Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

backorifice-brute NSE script
From: Gorjan Petrovski <mogi57 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 00:32:21 +0200

Hello,

I've been somewhat busy this weekend, and the result is a
backorifice-brute script that utilizes the brute library to guess
passwords against the BackOrifice service. The backorifice class
contains the basic functions for encryption and a try_password
function which sends an encrypted PING packet to the service and
checks whether the response is correct. This script is nearly
finished, since some things are still unclear to me:

The service itself can be configured to work on any port, and the only
way to verify that a BackOrifice service is running is to send an
encrypted PING packet using the correct password. What kind of a rule
should this script be initiated by?
Currently it's a shortport.port_or_service(31337, "BackOrifice",
"udp") , which obviously can't be run against any port. Nmap
recognizes a BackOrifice service only for an open|filtered 31337 port,
and the probe uses a PING packet encrypted with the default seed.
I liked Toni Ruottu's suggestion where the backorifice-brute script
updates the version info for the BackOrifice service, so then
backorifice-info can be automatically initiated once a password has
been found.

Should a brute script update version info?

Which socket timeout is best for this kind of script?  (I put 3000 ms)

Why shouldn't I put 50 or 100 bruteforcing threads?

Should I post works-in-progress like this to nmap-dev, or only to my mentor?

The example script output looks like this:

31337/udp open|filtered BackOrifice
| backorifice-brute.nse:
|   Accounts
|     michael => Login correct
|   Statistics
|_    Performed 10 guesses in 4 seconds, average tps: 2

Cheers,
Gorjan