Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap does not perform reliable scans on Solaris 11
From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 00:08:19 -0700

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 08:46:06PM +0200, Giovanni Schmid wrote:
 Hi,

I tested Nmap 5.21 on Oracle Solaris 11 and found that it only
apparently works. Actually, many different scan sessions (with
different options and  targets) got wrong results. For ex., the
following scan is related to a host with 22/tcp (SSH) and  111/tcp
(rpcbind) open; however the two services are not detected. Morever,
turning off the -PN  option results in an host apparently blocking up
ping probes. This is not the case, instead.

# nmap -A 172.16.3.42

Starting Nmap 5.21 ( http://nmap.org/ ) at 2011-05-16 20:13 CEST
Note: Host seems down. If it is really up, but blocking our ping probes,
try -PN
Nmap done: 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 3.60 seconds

# nmap -PN -A 172.16.3.42

Starting Nmap 5.21 ( http://nmap.org/ ) at 2011-05-16 20:14 CEST
Nmap scan report for 172.16.3.42
Host is up.
All 1000 scanned ports on 172.16.3.42 are filtered
Too many fingerprints match this host to give specific OS details

TRACEROUTE (using proto 1/icmp)
HOP RTT    ADDRESS
1   ... 30

# nmap -PN -sS 172.16.3.42

Starting Nmap 5.21 ( http://nmap.org/ ) at 2011-05-16 20:34 CEST
Nmap scan report for 172.16.3.42
Host is up.
All 1000 scanned ports on 172.16.3.42 are filtered

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 201.16 seconds

Thank you for reporting this. We need some more information from you. Do
the wrong results happen every time, or only sometimes? Is it only this
IP address that has the problem, or other LAN addresses, or all
addresses?

It looks like you are getting no reponses at all from the target. Is
there a firewall or something similar in the way? What output do you see
when you run the command
        ssh -v 172.16.3.42

David Fifield