Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE][patch] Bug in broadcast-dns-service-discovery and dnssd.lua
From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 09:09:34 -0500

Hey all,

Djalal's patch fixed the strange results, but the script (and probably
others that use upnp and dnssd libraries) still crashes when run with -6.
The patch in my original message will fix this issue.

Dan

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 8:50 AM, Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>wrote:

Hey list,

I've been playing with IPv6 scanning, and I discovered a bug when running
the broadcast-dns-service-discovery script with the -6 flag:

$ nmap --script broadcast-dns-service-discovery.nse -6 -d

Starting Nmap 5.52.IPv6.Beta2 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2011-06-09 08:24 CDT
Warning: File ./nmap-services exists, but Nmap is using
/usr/local/bin/../share/nmap/nmap-services for security and consistency
reasons.  set NMAPDIR=. to give priority to files in your local directory
(may affect the other data files too).
PORTS: Using top 1000 ports found open (TCP:1000, UDP:0, SCTP:0)
--------------- Timing report ---------------
 hostgroups: min 1, max 100000
 rtt-timeouts: init 1000, min 100, max 10000
 max-scan-delay: TCP 1000, UDP 1000, SCTP 1000
 parallelism: min 0, max 0
 max-retries: 10, host-timeout: 0
 min-rate: 0, max-rate: 0
---------------------------------------------
NSE: Loaded 1 scripts for scanning.
NSE: Starting runlevel 1 (of 1) scan.
NSE: Starting broadcast-dns-service-discovery.
NSE: Script Pre-scanning.
Initiating NSE at 08:24
NSE: Finished broadcast-dns-service-discovery.
NSE: Finished broadcast-dns-service-discovery.
NSE: dns.findNiceAdditional() found zero answers in a response, but got an
unexpected flags.replycode
NSE: dns.findNiceAdditional() found zero answers in a response, but got an
unexpected flags.replycode
NSE: dns.findNiceAdditional() found zero answers in a response, but got an
unexpected flags.replycode
NSE: dns.findNiceAdditional() found zero answers in a response, but got an
unexpected flags.replycode
NSE: broadcast-dns-service-discovery threw an error!
/usr/local/bin/../share/nmap/nselib/dnssd.lua:53: attempt to perform
arithmetic on local 'o1' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
   /usr/local/bin/../share/nmap/nselib/dnssd.lua:53: in function
'ipToNumber'
   /usr/local/bin/../share/nmap/nselib/dnssd.lua:62: in function
</usr/local/bin/../share/nmap/nselib/dnssd.lua:61>
   [C]: in function 'sort'
   /usr/local/bin/../share/nmap/nselib/dnssd.lua:392: in function
'queryServices'
   ...are/nmap/scripts/broadcast-dns-service-discovery.nse:52: in function
<...are/nmap/scripts/broadcast-dns-service-discovery.nse:48>
   (tail call): ?

Completed NSE at 08:24, 7.25s elapsed
NSE: Starting runlevel 1 (of 1) scan.
Read from /usr/local/bin/../share/nmap: nmap-services.
WARNING: No targets were specified, so 0 hosts scanned.
Nmap done: 0 IP addresses (0 hosts up) scanned in 7.61 seconds


So I dug into it and found that dnssd.lua and wsdd.lua both had a custom
ipCompare function used for sorting IPv4 addresses that couldn't handle IPv6
addresses. I rewrote them both to use ipOps.compare_ip(), but that function
couldn't compare IPv4 to IPv6.

Based on some previous work with the Perl Nmap::Parser module, I patched
ipOps to compare IPv4 to IPv6 by using IPv4-mapped IPv6 addresses. This
involved adding a new function, ipOps.ip_to_str() that converts addresses to
an opaque 4- or 16-byte string representation of the address, so that a
straight string comparison could be done instead of the bit-by-bit
comparison that was used before. This also simplified the logic for
performing the proper comparison for the operator given.

The patch also makes a minor change to ntp-monlist to take advantage of
IPv6 sorting. Even though v4 and v6 addresses can be sorted together now, I
kept it separate to avoid breaking something, especially since the code
involves column widths which vary from one to the other.

There was one more issue that I was not able to address: With the patch
applied, broadcast-dns-service-discovery does not error out, but the results
it returns are very strange:

Pre-scan script results:
| broadcast-dns-service-discovery:
|   ::a00:8cee:0:0
|     9/tcp workstation
|       Address=192.168.1.14 2002:62be:b3c6:0:211:2fff:fed7:d902
|     9/tcp workstation
|       Address=192.168.1.17 2002:62be:b3c6:0:224:81fd:fe60:9b3
|     9/tcp workstation
|       Address=192.168.1.19 fe80:0:0:0:a800:4ff:fe01:a04
|     9/tcp workstation
|       Address=192.168.1.18 fe80:0:0:0:225:b3ff:fe6c:7986
|   ::a00:c3e5:0:0
|     22/tcp udisks-ssh
|_      Address=192.168.1.18 fe80:0:0:0:225:b3ff:fe6c:7986

I can't explain those ::a00:XXXX:0:0 addresses. They change every time the
script is invoked, but the results are always grouped according to
port/service, rather than IP, as they should be.

Patch attached.
Dan


_______________________________________________
Sent through the nmap-dev mailing list
http://cgi.insecure.org/mailman/listinfo/nmap-dev
Archived at http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/


  By Date           By Thread  

Current thread:
[ Nmap | Sec Tools | Mailing Lists | Site News | About/Contact | Advertising | Privacy ]
AlienVault