Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

UDP scan taking more time against Linux machine
From: jeetika kataria <jeetika.kataria () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 11:23:57 +0200

Hello,

I was conducting UDP port scan for (0-65535) port range, against a linux
machine(Ubuntu 11.04) but it took more than 18 hours to finish the scan.
After searching on Internet I found the reason that the linux kernel limits
the ICMP error message rate i.e. Linux 2.2 to Linux 2.4.9 limits the
destination unreachable message generation to 80 per 4 secs, but the linux
kernel I am using is of higher version. It would be really helpful if
somebody can explain me the reason behind this behavior.

Thanks in advance.