Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: EXPERT IPv6 network scaning
From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 19:16:14 -0700

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 01:19:08AM +0530, niteesh kumar wrote:
I observed one more thing, target-ipv6-multicast-slaac.nse do scan a lot of
ips which MLD script doesnot but those ip which are not scanned my MLD are
also not responding to Ping msgs <ECHO>. this may be attributed to machines
who actually take part in address configuration but do not communicate in
IPv6 network or may be due to some firewall not responding to ICMP packets.
May be a possibility that the slaac script is not checking the
reachability  of scanned nodes.

This is common to all targets scripts. I have seen phantom addresses
come from the slaac script on Windows too. Scripts should not verify
addresses themselves. Nmap will do its own more reliable ND verification
of the added addresses. ICMPv6 echo is less reliable than ND.

David Fifield