Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [RFC][patch] XML structured script output (wiki page)
From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 21:10:15 -0700

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 08:57:38PM -0500, Daniel Miller wrote:
For a year or so, I've been looking for feedback on my patch for XML
structured output for NSE scripts [1], and as it has been a while, I
thought I'd bring it up again. I've fixed a couple bugs since last
time, and I've started keeping my local copy of the Nmap source under
Git source control, so I can rebase my branch as development continues
on the official source. I'm attaching 2 patches: nse-structured.diff
has all the code changes to use XML output for scripts, and
scripts-structured.diff patches a few scripts to take better advantage
of the structured output.

I started a wiki page with requirements, use cases, and some notes.

https://secwiki.org/w/Nmap/Structured_Script_Output

Would you please fill in the "Overview" section? This should describe
the problems with the current XML script output, and how structured
output is meant to solve them. Then please read the page carefully. I'm
particularly interested in making sure that any solution solves the use
cases I've outlined, and others that people may find important.

I've written what I think are important requirements and use cases, but
it's possible I've missed things from our previous discussions, or
perhaps my idea of the purpose of structured output differs from yours.

I've summarized the output proposal up to your most recent one, and
taken the liberty of calling it "proposal alpha," with the hope that we
will go through a small number of Greek letters before merging a patch.

David Fifield