Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Looking at the windows 64 sockets allowed bug.
From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 13:04:49 -0700

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 03:44:13PM -0400, James Rogers wrote:

What is the preferred version of Windows you would like nmap
developers to develop on?  I have Windows 7 and XP.

Hi James.  There's not really a preferred version, as having
developers use different versions can actually help.  Most of us use
Windos 7 by now, but Windows XP SP2 and later is fine.  Older versions
can help catch compatability problems.

Of course it is even better to test on both (I keep Windows 7 and
Windows XP VMs around for testing).

What tools do we use to compile nmap under windows?  I have an older
version of visual studio on the XP machine.

We have details and instructions here:

http://nmap.org/book/inst-windows.html#inst-win-source

What are the best command line options to exercise 1000 ports on a
single machine?

I guess it depends what your goals are for the scan.  A plain "nmap
<target>" command will scan 1,000 ports on the target machine.  But
you can also add options like -A to make the scan more intense.

Cheers,
Fyodor