Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: ncat question
From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 17:09:00 -0700

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 11:12:32PM -0500, Dennis wrote:
Hello,

I have been using this command string for sometime

ncat -l -v -p 25 -k -c "ncat -v mx01.anglerlabs.com 587" > ncatlog.txt

This successfully got around an imposed port blocking of my ISP for
port 25.  This was true until 2 things happened.  I reloaded my
system and our router had to be reset - to a pre-installation state.

I've also used ncat -l -v -p 25 -k -o ncatdmp.txt  --- I would
attempt to use the program that uses port 25 to send e-mail but
nothing shows up in ncatdmp.txt.

When I use   ncat mx01.anglerlabs.com 587, i am able to logon to the
smtp server.

If I have in one dos window the first command (ncat -l -v -p 25 -k
-c "ncat -v mx01.anglerlabs.com 587"). Then in a second dos windows
i would enter ncat mx01.anglerlabs.com 25.  It does not allow me to
logon, it times out.

This is the version information:
C:\Dennis\ncexe>ncat --version
Ncat: Version 5.59BETA1 ( http://nmap.org/ncat )

I am using Windows Vista.

Anything helpful you could suggest?

Please try the latest release 6.01. 5.59BETA1 may have some problems
with logging. Use the --append-output option to avoid having the log
erased each time Ncat respawns.

http://nmap.org/download.html

The cause of the problem will probably become clear very quickly if you
watch a packet trace with Wireshark while trying to connect with your
mail client.

David Fifield