Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Using Nmap + NSE create an embedded scanning botnet (Carna)
From: Fyodor <fyodor () nmap org>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 23:17:16 -0700

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Brandon Enright <
bmenrigh () brandonenright net> wrote:

I just came across a very interesting page / paper:

http://internetcensus2012.github.com/InternetCensus2012/paper.html

And CNET's journalistic geniuses have concluded that I was the one who
hacked those 420,000 devices!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57574919-83/what-420000-insecure-devices-reveal-about-web-security/

"In a Seclists posting yesterday, the researcher, Gordon Lyon, describes
how he was able to take control of open, embedded devices on the Internet.
He did so by using either empty or default credentials such as 'root:root'
or 'admin:admin', indicating how a surprisingly large number of devices
connected to the Web have no security to safeguard against a possible
takeover.  By taking control of the devices, the researcher effectively
established a botnet -- which he called 'Carna'..."

Since he found the full-disclosure post on my mailing list archive site,
clearly I must be the hacker :).  This has got to be the most bone-headed
CNET move since they released the trojan Nmap installer on CNET
Download.com.[1]

Cheers,
Fyodor

[1] http://insecure.org/news/download-com-fiasco.html