Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: An update on socket abstractions
From: Jacek Wielemborek <wielemborekj1 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 15:15:24 +0200

2013/8/27 Fyodor <fyodor () nmap org>:
On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 11:08 AM, Jacek Wielemborek
<wielemborekj1 () gmail com> wrote:

https://secwiki.org/w/Ncat-Lua/Socket_abstractions

Thanks for documenting this, Jacek.  I agree that the new "object oriented"
syntax looks better than ncatins+select.  As far as forward compatibility
with argument passing, I'm not sure that the extra syntax is worth it.
After all, if we ever add an argument to read() or send(), it's not all that
hard to go through all the scripts in the Nmap tree and update them.  That
is what we do when we make NSE changes.  But whatever you and David decide
is fine with me.

Cheers,
Fyodor

Yeah, I'm not exactly convinced it was the best idea, though at least
I learned quite a lot of Lua in the process of looking for this
interface. While converting the scripts to this concept, I noticed
it's quite a lot of work to test them all already - this got me
thinking, how do you perform this process in NSE? I guess you don't
make much major changes in the first place, but from what I learned
yesterday, it basically calls for a test-driven approach to make sure
that an API change didn't break anything.

As for secwiki documentation, I found this the best way to organize it
all for myself. I figured that in this form, this could also be useful
while writing some final documentation and communicating my progress
in a more detailed manner.