Home page logo
/

nmap-dev logo Nmap Development mailing list archives

Fwd: Exfiltrated NSE script
From: Jacek Wielemborek <wielemborekj1 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 12:20:06 +0200

Hi guys,

While browsing the (not maintained anymore) h-online.com website, I
once encountered this news:

http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Search-engine-available-for-Internet-Census-2012-data-1866057.html

While browsing the data available here, I noticed I could easily run a
scan on my university address range and get results immediately,
without sending to it a packet from any source address. The obvious
catch here is that the Internet Census 2012 data aren't exactly most
up to date, but I believe that they still could be useful. Especially
that we got a permission from the exfiltrated.com site administrator,
so we don't have to store the data anywhere.

I have to admit I have no idea about the legal point of view of using
that data, so it's one of the things I'd like to hear about from you.
From my point of view, it's not us that grabbed data and we'd
basically write a script to just grab it from a website, so perhaps
it's all okay?

The way I see the script, there are three use cases I can think of.
One would involve skipping the SYN scan altogether and using
exfiltrated data to fill out the port status, setting the "reason"
field to "exfiltrated.com". We could also add the ports to the to-scan
list to include them even if they're not in the default top 1000. The
last option is to compare our scan results to the historical data from
IC2K12 results. What do you think about it?

Below is the original e-mail from Wesley, along with my e-mail to him
as well. I CC'ed this message to him too.

Yours,
Jacek Wielemborek